15 medium size prawns
½ tsp salt
2 tsp green tabasco
1 tbsp potato Flour
4-5 tbsp corn flour or tempura flour
Oil for deep frying
For the sauce
4 tbsp Wasabi Powder
3 tbsp Japanese Mayonnaise
3 ½ tbsp water
Ebiko wasabi (optional)
Nori seaweed, shredded
Fried curry leaves
Email this grocery list
Ingredient Substitution Guide
Step 1: Marinate the prawns
1. De-shell and de-vein the prawns. Wash the prawns, drain dry and place in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the egg
3. Add salt, sugar and egg to the prawns, and mix well. Cover with cling wrap and leave in the fridge for 15 minutes.
Step 2: Wasabi sauce
1. Place the wasabi powder into a small bowl, and add in water. Mix well until a paste is formed.
2. Add in the mayonnaise, wasabi paste into a big bowl. Mix well until smooth. Cover with a cling wrap and set aside for later use.
Step 3: Batter the prawns
1. Just before deep-frying, take out the prawns from the fridge. Add in the potato flour and corn flour, then mix well ensuring every prawn is well and evenly coated with the batter mixture.
Note: Only deep-fry the prawns before you’re ready to serve.
Step 4: Deep fry the prawns
1. Heat up the wok with the 1 bowl of oil over medium heat. Then add in the prawns one at a time, making sure that the prawns do not stick to one another.
2. Deep fry for 2-3 minutes until golden, then place on paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
Step 5: Serving
1. When all the prawns have been fried and are still hot, put the prawns into the bowl of wasabi mixture immediately and toss them well ensuring that every prawn is evenly coated with the wasabi sauce.
2. Transfer the prawns on a platter and garnish it with nori and wasabi tobiko. Serve immediately.
Executive Chef and founder of Taiko Dubai, Sofitel Dubai The Obelisk