Emirati chicken harees soup
1 small chicken, cut into pieces
1 litre chicken stock
250g wheat grains, washed and soaked in water overnight, then strained
Caramelised onions, to serve
Email this grocery list
Ingredient Substitution Guide
1. Place chicken and stock in a pan and cook for 20 minutes.
2. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan and add the wheat to the boiling stock. Season.
3. Bring to a boil then cover and lower the heat. Simmer for about 3 hours.
4. Blend the cooked wheat with a hand blender until it has a thick, soup-like consistency.
5. Debone the chicken and shred the meat.
6. When ready to serve, reheat the soup, ladle it into bowls and place portions of shredded chicken on top. Scatter with onions and serve hot.
Recipe courtesy: Chef Silvena Rowe
Image and recipe: GN Archives